±23,936 Acres of Birding Land in St. Louis County, MN
St. Louis County, MN 55738
Saint Louis County View Map
This online auction is for ±23,936 acres of restored wetlands in the Sax-Zim Bog, St. Louis County, MN.
Sax-Zim Bog is not just unique-—there is no place like it in the world. Sax-Zim Bog has over 240 bird species documented and Audubon has designated it an "Important Bird Area." It is important because it provides habitat for many species that are not found in other parts of the United States outside of Alaska. And the concentration of wintering species in Sax-Zim is unique to all of North America. It is considered the best place in North America to view and photograph several of these seldom-seen species. Deer, bear and other smaller wildlife are frequently seen and a large variety of bird species create a musical chorus every day, all year round.
Select highlights/features include:
- A large-scale wetland restoration project was completed on this property to generate environmental offset credits and return the site to its natural condition
- With nearly the entire property under conservation easement* (23,590 acres) the restoration work is protected in perpetuity for the enjoyment of future generations
- The property is now prime habitat for boreal species like the Black-backed Woodpecker, Lynx, and Pine Marten and wintering species include Great Gray Owl, Northern Hawk Owl, White-winged Crossbill, Pine Grosbeak, Northern Shrike, Rough-legged Hawk, Snow Bunting, Common Redpoll and Hoary Redpoll
- It is a premier location for bird watching and other passive recreational uses
- There are also four developable outparcels around the perimeter (346 acres)
* Conservation Easement – A conservation easement, or deed restriction, is a perpetual restriction placed on a piece of property to protect the land and its resources for future generations while allowing owners to retain many private property rights. The landowner is allowed to use the property in the conservation area for any purpose that does not conflict with the conservation easement. Activities that are not permitted within the conservation area include building structures or roads, changing the topography of the land, commercial tree harvesting, and agricultural activities.
Click the link below to access more information on Sax-Zim Bog:
Downloadable DocumentsProperty Information
- Hunting & Trapping Seasons Last Updated 24 Oct 3:05 pm CDT
- Marketing Flyer Last Updated 5 Sep 4:14 pm CDT
- Wetland Bank Boundary & Outparcel Evaluation Last Updated 29 Aug 1:00 pm CDT
- Offering Memorandum Last Updated 28 Aug 3:18 pm CDT
- Aerial Overview Last Updated 5 Jul 4:00 pm CDT
- Commitment for Title Insurance - Mineral Estate Last Updated 25 Jul 11:18 am CDT
- Easements - Phase II and Phase III Last Updated 25 Jul 11:13 am CDT
- Ecological Importance of Sax-Zim Bog Last Updated 3 Jul 6:53 pm CDT
- Investment Policies - Duluth Superior Area Community Foundation Last Updated 25 Jul 11:20 am CDT
- July 2016 Appraisal Report (10,909.03 Acres) Last Updated 5 Jul 2:09 pm CDT
- Memorandum of Understanding Last Updated 5 Jul 12:42 pm CDT
- Phase I ESA - Sax-Zim Exchange Area Last Updated 25 Jul 11:23 am CDT
- Superior 23,936-Acre Description & Aerial Last Updated 5 Jul 3:58 pm CDT
- Superior Topo - Property & Easements Last Updated 25 Jul 11:25 am CDT
- Superior Wetland Mitigation Banking Instrument Last Updated 25 Jul 11:27 am CDT
- Bid Deposit Form Last Updated 19 Nov 2:33 am CST
- Terms and Conditions of Sale (READ BEFORE BIDDING) Last Updated 28 Aug 10:40 am CDT
- Broker Participation Last Updated 3 Jul 5:54 pm CDT
- SAMPLE Auction Addendum Last Updated 15 Oct 4:46 pm CDT
- SAMPLE Purchase & Sale Agreement Last Updated 15 Oct 4:32 pm CDT
If you would like to visit this property or any other property in this auction event, you are required to execute and electronically submit a Temporary Access Agreement.
If you visit this property or any other property in this auction without first executing a Temporary Access Agreement, you will be trespassing. Please don’t trespass on any properties in this auction event.
Click below to review, execute and electronically submit the Temporary Access Agreement.
Click here to begin
This is an Auction Plus event in which a financing contingency is permitted. On the bid form you will be asked to include financing details.
Broker of Record for this property: TBD, MN license #1010
All information contained on FRE.com and dispensed by the Support Staff, Property Representative and other agents of the Seller is from sources deemed reliable and is not warranted or guaranteed by the Seller, its partners or related companies, LFC Communications, Inc., LFC Marketing Services, Inc., or any of their agents. Buyers shall rely entirely on their own judgment and inspection.
How to Buy
1Set up a free user account
Free registration with no obligation. Your account provides access to additional information and documents, as well as email updates.
2Search & Select
Our website features different assets - Real Estate and REIT shares. Utilize our advanced search criteria to narrow down your selection.
Access property information to make better-informed decisions. Available information varies depending on each real estate asset type.
4Submit Deposit (if required)
Prior to placing a bid, you may need to submit a deposit. Deposits can be submitted using credit card, wire transfer or check.
5Place Online Bid
Place bids on your selected asset prior to the deadline. Specifics vary for each asset.
6Winner is Declared
Buyer deposits purchase funds, and closing coordinator assists Buyer and Seller with final paperwork.